Friday, July 13

Three mountains and we are kickin' tail (Durango, CO)

Just some pictures for now. I would like to say thanks so much to Molly P's parents and friends for helping us through our last big trek in the Rockies and hosting an incredible feast in Durango! We all had a great ride today, and this might go down as one of my favorite days of the trip.

Bike odometer: 2592 miles













In Ouray preparing ourselves for the 5000 - 6000 feet of climbing to come(!!)










Town of Ouray as it looked one mile into our first, 13-mile climb up to Red Mountain Pass (yeah, it was steep!). Ouray is a cute, touristy place, and makes me think of some place in Switzerland (not that I've ever been there, but I did see the end of The Sound of Music).










Liz on the Red Mountain climb










The pale line across the mountain to the right is the road we were riding on...no shoulder, no guard rail, and a 2000' descent down from the road...but we made it safe!










Mountain pass #1--made it!













On the way back down...freezing cold and wet for 11 miles, but I dried out at the bottom










Awkward arm's length photo on the way up to Molas Pass (pass #2)










Kim is pumped to make it to Molas Pass










Molly N is too












That's right, my calves are smokin (Eric, me)










Molas Pass (Kim, Eric, Me, Molly N)













Risa shows off the scabs from her fall at Coal Bank Pass (pass #3)...it was 30 miles downhill into Durango from here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meredith-
You are too funny - I've been to Switzerland and it does look like a village there. (I've never seen the Sound of Music!)

Thanks for all of the pictures and comments....it's great following your progress. Good health, be careful, and continued good roads for the rest of the trip to all of you.

Liz's AC

John Derrick said...

10,000 feet! I think you beat me! I cycled some this weekend up in the mountains here and I never reached a mile up!