Tuesday, July 17

Last stop on the Navajo Reservation (Tuba City, AZ)

Hello from Tuba City, the largest town on the Navajo reservation here and our last stop in Mountain Time (which the reservation uses) before entering Pacific Time tomorrow. I think that both "Tuba" and "City" are misnomers, but I understand that Tuba actually comes from a Navajo name spelled more like Toova. We had another fairly easy 75-mile ride today and arrived at our host site, the Assembly of God Church, by early afternoon. Our hosts here are really cool, and made us Navajo flatbread to snack on while we waited for showers at the minister's home next door.

I'm afraid my posts will continue to be infrequent for awhile, as internet access has been hard to come across in these small communities. Please check out new posts and pictures dating back to Cortez. Thanks so much to everyone who has left encouraging messages; we are really excited to be past the Rockies (as beautiful and adventuresome as they were!) and within spitting distance (okay, maybe 600 miles) of San Diego!

Bike odometer: 2839 miles










Sunrise in Kayenta










Our Lady of Guadalupe Church as we pack up to leave













Jochem, Anita, Liz, Andrew and Ryan by a cool rock formation at the lunch site










Add me










Actually, there were two of them (Jochem and Liz in foreground)










Awkward arms-length photo again










One of our gracious hosts at the Tuba City Assembly of God, presenting the Navajo flatbread that she made for us (whenever we asked her name, she would say "Puddintane, ask me again and I'll tell you the same"...and I thought only my mom said that)

No comments: